Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Not so much "we" time -- Mika wants more "me" time

Rush, rush, rush. Run in the door, shove boobs in mouths, shove mashed food in mouths, rush rush rush, off to bed.

That's the typical weeknight in our busy household. I've left many steps out so as not to bore you loyal readers (all three of you), but you get the gist of it. The poor babies get hardly any time with daddy and mommy. In an effort to get our 1,001 tasks done as efficiently as possible each night, we typically feed the babies together.

Lately Mika has been objecting to always having to share the boobs (whoops, I mean Mommy) with her sister. Last night repeated what has become an almost daily occurance: After nursing for a brief period, Mika started fussing and refusing to eat. Allison continued to nurse, then went to bed.

Mika was still hungry, so I attempted to nurse her again after putting Ali down. "Wait a minute Mommy," she seemed to say as she pulled away. She looked up and locked her eyes on mine. A soft coo escaped her lips as she gently reached up and petted my face. We spent at least five minutes together, gazing at each other in the soft light, exchanging sweet little love sounds. After getting her fill of Mommy's love, she finally finished off Mommy's milk and went to bed without a fuss.

It took a five-month-old child to remind me of the obvious: These girls need individual love and attention. When I'm so focused on getting them to bed on time, I forget that efficiency shouldn't be the primary concern. Loving each baby and cherishing every moment is all that matters. I'll never forget the sweet look on Mika's face as we bonded last night, and I'll do my best from now on to give both her and Allison the solo Mommy & Me time that we all need. Efficiency be damned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this blog! Of the many pictures taken of the twins, the one posted 9/23 here on the blog of Ali just waking in the morning is my favorite. And now, my favorite story is also here on the blog. It’s incredible that at this young age, Mika has found a way to get special attention. And the reward she gave you! It is so exciting that she can now reach out to you. Your description of that bonding moment brought tears to my eyes.

Kaylee and Jason, you are great parents. Instead of purchasing jars of baby food, you even make the "mashed food" for your daughters. Time is never on any parent’s side. However, the two of you work well together. You’ve realized early in the game of life what is important. You both do love and cherish your daughters. So don’t be too hard on yourselves.

September 27, 2006 at 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome! I love the fact that you can be efficient, loving, practical, silly, intelligent, and flexible all at the same time. I can't wait to see them again soon!

October 16, 2006 at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home