Sunday, June 29, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dear Mama

The following conversation was repeated at least a dozen times (maybe even thirty?) this weekend:
Mama: Can you sing me a song for my birthday?

Mika: Happy birthday to you AllisonMika, Happy birthday to you*

Allison: No, it's Mama's birthday. Happy birthday dear Mama!

Mika: (with a big cheesy grin) Happy birthday dear Mama, Happy birthday to you.
*They usually skip the first two lines of the song. And who can blame them? It's a bit redundant.

They are actually having whole conversations! I guess it follows that words grow into sentences, which in turn become paragraphs and dialogue. That's the whole point of language, after all. But to actually witness the whole process is beyond cool.

And they even gave me presents for my birthday. Allison pooped in the potty yesterday and Mika peed in the potty today. Okay, not the most exciting presents I could have received but they at least showed foresight if not thoughtfulness. (Cleaning a poopy potty chair was not on my birthday to do list.) I much preferred the choclately kisses I received after snacktime.

Operation Romantic Bedroom Makeover is under way. Jason and I have cleared out the room and set up camp on the futon in the library. Spackel and sanding is scheduled tomorrow, then painting will begin on Tuesday.

I think Mika's head is going to explode when she sees the pumpkin walls. The combination of her favorite activity (painting) and her favorite color (orange) might just send her over the edge. We planned to do all painting while the girls were out of the house, but we may have to find a way for them to contribute. Mika wants so badly to help with this project. How can we say no?

1 Comments:

Blogger go ahead, be sarcastic said...

Happy Birthday, dear Kaylee!

June 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home